Thursday, March 12, 2009

What's your story?

This past week we were honored to have our Lenten Mission presented by the author Alice Camille. While she was here, Alice commented she truly felt she was among friends, and that our way of welcoming was relatively uncommon in the world of presenters. Our way of making a guest feel at home in not an accident.

It is, very simply, the way we do things at St. Thomas.

Alice shared many stories with us, and in each one a thread continued to emerge: God resides in the relationship. When we are present to one another, we shine a light on the holiness of the seemingly insignificant everyday encounter. We need to keep our eyes open, our ears alert, and allow ourselves to be vulnerable in order to recognize divinity in the moment; in other words, what happens when a simple conversation takes on an aura of sacred presence. Is it by chance? Perhaps a coincidence? As Alice told us, it's not magic, it's transfiguration.

At different times of our lives, we experience how it feels to be among friends, and conversely, how it feels to be alone, a stranger in a crowd. We all have a story. What is yours? When and where have you felt among friends, and when have you recognized God in an encounter? Will you share your story here?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe every word of what was shared. God is discovered in relationships, in simple moments that ignite one's heart to recogize something "burning within our hearts" or bringing tears to our eyes. My moments are MANY and St. Thomas has done so much to allow these blessed moments to happen. Short examples? The family we have created in the big choir, the prayer we share, and how much we care about each other. The electricfying moments of praise I felt many times while singing with Testify that caused me to stop singing as tears ran down my eyes because I felt the Spirit alive in the room. The passion of Fr. Joel in a homily when he cares deeply and cannot simply find a way to end- he just wants people to "get it!" The insipiration of Fr. Bob that makes my heart come alive to write even deeper messages of prayer to share with others. The smiles and dedication of the staff and the Spirit who is so present in their hearts that 'She' is tangible in a peaceful way...people like Lori, Patti, Julie F, Susan, Angie, and Anne. Right on down to the friendship that I formed because I felt called to pray for a fellow parishoner during Holy Thursday adoration and reach out my arms to give her a hug because I knew she needed it. Or, the friend from a Gatherings group years ago whose hugs truly make my Sunday. God truly lives among us at St. Thomas and I am fed from the Spirit that remains here. We are Christ to the World. God comes in so many ways that I am continually thankful to share what I found here at St. Thomas with others. I wish every parish could experience what we have.